Hello once again!

 I am going to be catching everyone up on what has been going on the last week and a half.

If you have been on Power School and are wondering where are my kid's grades, don't panic. Last week I wanted to assess writing, reading, and speaking so I was just assess their work and not actually grading it. I do this because the kids don't know or have forgotten my expectations of writing. For an example, a lot of the kids are forgetting to write in complete sentences, write their name on the paper, and forgot what I expect out of a paragraph. This week is when I will start grading things. I am going to wait until I have a few assignments before I put anything in.

6th grade: We have been working on plot diagrams for stories. They did one as a group, by themselves, and we did one together over a story we read called "To Build a Fire" by Jack London. The kids didn't really like how it ended, so today they are writing alternative endings. They are also to use what they learned from grammar yesterday, dialogue, somewhere in their ending.

I handed out their book report guidelines. I think everyone has a biography book to read. They either are getting one outside of school, the school library, or a made a quick trip to the public library to get some books for them. A paper will be a requirement of the project. No worries, we will be doing this together as a class.

7th Grade: These lovelies have also been working on the elements of a story. They have been digging in a little deeper with inferences, predictions, and suspense. For grammar Wednesdays they have been working on fragment sentences. These are a work in progress. I just want them to be aware of fragmented sentences in their own writings.

Today they read/are reading a story by Rudyard Kippling called "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi". It is a nice short story with a good lesson to learn. They are working on vocabulary, characteristics of the characters. predictions, and conflict.

I also gave them their book report guidelines. I believe everyone or nearly everyone has a nonfiction book. I am excited to see these reports because they are a little different. Note that this report is worth quite a few points, so a good amount of time should be used on them!

8th Grade: My loves have been focusing on suspense, foreshadowing, predicting, flashbacks, and irony. For grammar they learned the progressive form of the tenses. I haven't checked their homework from yesterday, but I think they all did just fine with it!

Today I was so excited to come to school I had to wear my part pants. (Palazzo pants) Why was I excited? The 8th grade read an Edgar Allan Poe short story!!!! We LOVE Poe in the 8th grade so I was ready to party!! The kids thought I was a little nutty, but they loved the story. They are currently writing persuasion papers to me about the main character in the story. They have to use examples from the book to decide if our character was mentally ill or a calculated killer. I know that sounds a little weird, but the story is a good one and it is included in our textbook. This assignment focuses on character motivation. The kids took notes about his actions throughout the story. Now they can look at the notes and decide if he was ill or crazy.

8th Grade News: The 8th grade will be attending a leadership retreat at CYC at the end of the month. I will create a handout and have it out by next week for you to look at. I will need at least one driver, if there are any takers?

I believe that is it for now. Until next time...


A picture from the second day of school. LOVE THESE KIDS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog