Memoirs, Biographies, and Field Trips, oh my!

Brrr! I feel a chill in the air so I guess that means fall is on the way. Then, gulp, winter, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Here is what we have been doing:

6th Grade. We learned about memoirs last week so this week they started writing their memoir. The key is to show the reader not tell. So we have been trying to get every detail and sensory detail into those stories. Today we did peer reviews on them. The kids were in groups and their group members had to edit their papers. We also learned how to give a good oral presentation. So, tomorrow their final drafts are due and they will need to present their memoir to the class. I am excited! There are a lot of creative kids in this class so it will be fun to hear their experiences.

7th Grade, Like the 6th grade, they have been learning about memoirs. We finished giving oral presentations today. They did a fabulous job! There are a lot of neat stories. They used a lot of details so I felt like I was there. Way to go, 7th grade! Tomorrow is their first unit test. After their test I will be giving their guidelines to their biography report. It will be due October 27th. It will be a hard copy so they will be able to bring it home for parents to see. I already can't wait to see some of these reports. The kids need to remember to be creative and have fun with it! I will need to approve their book by next Friday the 19th.

8th Grade. The girls wrapped up their oral presentations this week as well. They are moving onto their first unit test tomorrow. Their memoirs were very creative. I enjoyed listening to them. They were given their guidelines to their scrapbook biography this week. I have the materials to make a scrapbook so no need to buy anything! These will be due in October. They need to show me the book they intend to read to get approval. I have already approved a few. They will need to do this by next Friday the 19th. ALSO, 8th grade is going on a field trip Friday the 26th! We are going to the St. Thomas More Center in Panora. They will be learning leadership and teamwork skills. They will need to bring a sack lunch and tennis shoes. The girls will be going home with a permission slip today so please fill that out and return it to me.

Don't forget about the Food Fair on Sunday! There are two new booths, Western and MOLDOVA,which is mine. :) Stop by to have a yummy dessert. This weekend is the big game, Iowa vs. Iowa State. GO HAWKS!!! :) Have a safe and wonderful weekend, folks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog